Thursday, March 17, 2011

Yay for progress!!

Will's been in therapies since he was about 6 months old. He started with Physical Therapy and Early Intervention. Then we added Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy. He graduated Occupational Therapy...I don't think he was ready to, but we weren't gelling with his OT. And about a month ago he graduated from Physical Therapy.

When we first started with Speech Therapy we had an amazing therapist. She was kind to Lucy and William was making huge strides. But she had stop being our therapist because she was finishing her doctorate and her school told her she needed to spend more time there. And so we got our next speech therapist.

She was awful. Absolutely awful. She sat on the ground and did absolutely nothing other than talk to him and read him books. I was doing more myself than she was. On top of that, she was consistently late. By almost an hour most of the time. When she got here, she complained about all of her other clients to me (Makes you wonder what she's saying about us, no?), would spend the whole session complaining about how little money she had, talk about her daughter and grand kids (which I'm all about...unless it means you're not working with my son) and show me how big her pants were from Weight Watchers. Once or twice yeah....but it started to get uncomfortable. And the icing on the cake? She was kind of mean to Lucy, expecting her to sit on the couch and just watch instead of playing too. Lucy's too close in age and to young to understand that new toys are only for William. When I told her J was coming for speech therapy she would say "I'm scared of J".

So last week we talked to company that provides our speech. And they offered to switch our speech therapist for us. Turns out I'm not the only one complaining about J. We met with our new speech therapist, Linda, today. She's absolutely wonderful!! The kids were both playing with her within a couple of minutes. She doesn't just sit there and say "say this or that", she emphasizes different sounds and shows him how to say things. I love love love love love her. Since we only have 6 more months of therapies, I'm so grateful to finish off his speech with someone that will do the most good.

No comments:

Post a Comment